Every year, millions of Americans spend approximately $700 on Christmas gifts for their friends and family. However, a large chunk of those gifts are often dictated by popular trends, advertising or “safe” selections that most people would enjoy. For example:
- In 2001, 78% of holiday shoppers purchased at least one electronic product as part of their gift giving.
- Almost 60% of consumers purchase clothing and apparel as a gift for other adults.
- Books, DVDs and gift cards are next in popularity when it comes to adult gift-giving.
It’s easy to see from the statistics above that most gifts are non-specific to the person receiving them.
Time and money are at a premium, so people often find ways to reduce the burden of Christmas shopping by waiting until the last minute to snag great deals or buying gifts in bulk. There are some easy ways to find personal, meaningful gifts that can be just as convenient but give that personal touch:
- Shopping Online: Online shopping can be done any hour of the day, and any day of the week. Finding gifts with personal touches is easy online, because many specialty storefronts are available with search functions to narrow down your selection.
- Useful Gifts: Entertaining gifts and luxury items are great, but when you give someone a useful gift it adds to their daily life. The recipient gains pleasure from it more than once, and will think of the giver each time they use it.
- Lifestyle Gifts: Everyone enjoys a different lifestyle, which is what makes us all interesting in our own way. Finding gifts that reflect a person’s lifestyle not only signify that you are interested in their lives, but that you cared enough to take the time to learn more about it.
- Timely Gifts: As people age, they go through different stages of life. Each stage is more suited to certain gifts more than others, and finding gifts that are age appropriate is a sign of consideration to the recipient.
- Luxury Gifts: There are basic models of almost every item on the market, and then there are luxury models. Luxury items are typically made from higher quality ingredients, are better constructed and tend to last longer than inferior models. Most people, especially those on tight budgets, will get by with inferior items rather than spend the money on luxury goods. Giving a luxury item as a gift shows that you want a person to truly enjoy what you are giving them.
- Something They Wouldn’t Buy Themselves: Everyone has seen something they liked, but couldn’t justify spending money for themselves. Purchasing gifts like these for others brings fun and excitement to a person’s life, because it is a treat that only you could give them.
With all the benefits of purchasing thoughtful gifts and the ease of online shopping, why wouldn’t you take a little more time to find some truly special items? Vitality Medical’s Online Store has a great selection of meaningful holiday gifts from which to choose, including the following:
- Arcoa Adjustable Folding Cane: Your friend or loved one may already have a cane, but the adjustable folding cane from Arcoa has so many benefits that they wouldn’t mind having this one, too. This cane collapses easily to fold away into a bag or purse, and is attractively constructed in brass-tone metals and a dark wood handle.
- Conair Pollenex Teak Spa Bench: Teak is a tropical wood that naturally resists mold, mildew and bacteria so it’s naturally suited to stands and furniture for use in bathtubs and showers. The Conair Pollenex Teak Spa Bench is an attractive way for aging adults to maintain stability and safety while bathing without the addition of unsightly plastic and rubber.
- Battle Creek Moist Heat Pack: For friends and family who suffer from back aches, muscle spasms, arthritis or bursitis, or for those who simply seek a simple method for relaxation at home, the Battle Creek Thermophore Moist Heat Pack offers soothing moist heat for medical treatment and non-clinical uses alike. The automatic, pulsing heat helps to prevent burns if patients fall asleep, which they probably will due to the relaxing, detoxifying properties of this treatment.
- Standers Bed Rail Advantage: Items that perform more than one task are like two gifts in one! The Standers Bed Rail Advantage is a sturdy bed rail to give weak or elderly individuals an extra hand while getting out of bed, but it also doubles as a simple, organized space for keeping books, reading glasses, magazines, remote controls and other items within arms length.
- Drive Medical Exercise Peddler: Exercise is an important part of staying strong and healthy at any age. Give the gift of health with the Drive Medical Exercise Peddler, a stationary stand with two pedals that can be used to strengthen and tone the arms and legs. With no assembly required, compact portable construction and super simple operation, it’s perfect for any level of fitness within any space.
- HydraGel Infrared Massager : You’d be hard pressed to find anyone that doesn’t enjoy a foot massage. The Dry Infrared Foot Massager gives a nice subtle massage without having to worry about tubs full of water or hand-held tools that can have a numbing effect.
- Duro Med Lighted Magnifier: Reading is a simple pleasure for many, but aging adults might find it more of a challenge to see small print or pictures. The Duro Med Lighted Magnifier brings bright magnification to books of any kind to help increase print size and lighten up books in dim settings.
- HoMedics Magnetic Wave Back Support: Back pain is common among all American adults, and sometimes simple hot and cold applications can keep it from interfering with the day. The HoMedics Magnetic Wave Back Support takes this basic therapeutic concept and builds it into a supportive back brace for the treatment of aches, pains, strains and bruises.
Buying a meaningful gift is an easy way to show someone that you care about their happiness and well-being. This holiday season take a few extra moments to find something meaningful for each person in your life.
Industry Market Trends – Holiday Shopping Statistics and Trivia